Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal (SSUP): A few years back, we all were introduced to the ”Aadhaar Card’, and we didn’t realize its value back then. But now as the years passed, it has captured a crucial part in our daily life.
Life won’t be the same for everyone or our residential address. It may change, and what would we have done if we are in the early 20th century to change them in the necessary documents? We would have wandered between the officials and authorities to change our address in order to enjoy the benefits provided by the Government. The same procedure applies if you had entered a wrong or mistaken address. Isn’t it true?
What is an Aadhaar Card?
Aadhaar card is given to all the citizens of India as an identification proof with 12 digits unique identification number.
Now, we all know the importance of the Aadhaar card, and what if you need to change your address in it? Well, what will you do at this time if you face a similar situation as mentioned before? If you are assuming the above answer, then it is not needed. The Government of India had set up a portal named as the Aadhaar Self Service update portal (SSUP) to change the address online.
What is Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal?
This SSUP portal is made by the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) to change the address alone through online mode. If you want to change the other details in the card such as name, date of birth, or others, then you should visit the Aadhaar enrolment center near you or can be done online.
How to update the address in your Aadhaar Card?
There are two ways to update the address using the Self Service update portal. Follow the below-mentioned steps carefully to update your address in the Aadhaar card using the SSUP portal.
- The process with the availability of valid proof documents
- Step 1: Open a new page in your browser and go to the official page of Aadhaar self-service update portal which is mentioned as http://www.uidai.gov.in
- Step 2: Select the ‘Update your Address Online’ option under the section of Update Aadhaar.
- Step 3: In the next page, hit on the ‘Proceed to Update Address’ button if you have your correct address proof.
- Step 4: You will be navigated to a new window where you have to enter your 12 digits unique Aadhaar number.
- Step 5: Once it is entered, select the option ‘Send OTP’ (One Time Password) or Enter a TOTP.
- Step 6: Now, an OTP number will be sent to your mobile number, which is given in the database of UIDAI.
- Step 7: Enter the OTP number in the given text box and hit ‘Login’ to open your account.
- Step 8: If you had select ‘Enter a TOTP’ option, you could go for the number with the same procedure.
- Step 9: Once you open your account, you will be viewed with two options as ‘update address by address proof’ and ‘Update address via secret code’. You can select any one between them of your choice.
- Step 10: As mentioned in the Proof of Address (PoA), enter the residential address of yours in the required box and click on the ‘Preview’ option.
- Step 11: If you need to change your address, then you should click the ‘Modify’ option and tick the box of the declaration given.
- Step 12: Now, select the ‘submit ‘button.
- Step 13: In this step, click on the ‘Upload document’ option and select the PoA document for verification, and a scanned copy of the address proof should be uploaded.
- Step 14: After the uploading process is done, click on the ‘Submit’ option.
- Step 15: Finally, your request to change the address will be accepted, and a URN of 14 digit numbers will be given.
- Step 16: The URN is known as Update Request Number, which can be used to check the status of your update of the address.
- Step 17: Once you find the address is updated, download the modified Aadhaar card and take a print out for future references.
- Process without the availability of valid proof documents
Even if you don’t have the essential documents, you can still request to change your current address in the Aadhaar card. The process can be easily done with the help of consent and authentication of the address verifier who can be either your family/friends or landlord. They can use their respective address as proof.
Before proceeding with the process, both the applicant and address verifier need to update their mobile numbers with their Aadhaar.
- Step 1: Open a new browser page and go to the official Aadhaar self-service update portal as http://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/
- Step 2: Select the Update Aadhaar option and click on ‘Request for an Aadhaar validation letter.’
- Step 3: Here, you need to enter your 12 digits unique Aadhaar number in the given box and clear the captcha verification code.
- Step 4: Then select the ‘send OTP’ or ‘Enter TOTP’ option on the page.
- Step 5: The process to complete the request can be done in different ways, as mentioned below.
What are the documents required as Proof of Address (PoA)?
According to the condition of UIDAI, the documents which are valid as a proof of address and required for the correction or in updating your address in your Aadhaar card are mentioned below,
- Statement of the bank in which the applicant has an account
- Passbook of the bank where the applicant has an account
- Passbook or Account Statement of the Post office
- Ration Card
- Voter Identification card
- Driving license
- Photo identification card which is issued by the Government
- Electricity bill (only valid if it is before three months)
- Water Bill (same condition as for electricity bill)
- Service photo ID card issued by PSU
- Previous three months bills of landline
- The property tax paid receipt, not before three month
- Insurance policy
- Statement of credit card for the last three months
- Photo and a letter signed by the bank on letterhead or the same signed by the well-known educational institution
- The address certificates with the attestation from MP, MLA, Gazetted officer, Tehsildar, Village Panchayat head or any equivalent others.
- Income tax assessment order
- Registered certification of vehicle
- Applicant’s residential address should be registered for sale, rent, or lease.
- Job card of NREGS
- Arms license
- Pensioner card
- Freedom fighter card
- Kisan Passbook
- CGHS Card
- ECHS Card
- Passport of spouse or partner
- In the case of minors, it is required to have a parent passport
- Gas connection bill for the last three months
- Certificate for Handicapped or disability identification card provided by the State or UT government.
- Caste and Domicile certificate with a photo
What to do if your request to update your address gets rejected?
Sometimes, the UIDAI would reject the request for modifying the address in your Aadhaar card for various reasons. The UIDAI has to follow some provisions to verify the submitted documents, and if they don’t fulfill the criteria, the officials reject the request.
If your request is rejected for the first time, you don’t have to panic. You are allowed to submit your request to change or update your address with the necessary corrections and with proper self-attested documents.
To avoid getting rejected yet another time, make sure you fulfill the below-mentioned conditions to change your address successfully.
- You should always make sure you attach all the necessary and adequate documents as proof to update /change your address.
- The documents which should be sent to the UIDAI must be self-attested without fail.
- The details in the request form should match the details in the proof documents.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How can we change our details in Aadhaar card via online mode?
- If you need to modify the address, then you can visit the official page of the Aadhaar Self-service update portal. In case you need to change other details like the name of the applicant, gender, date of birth, and others, you can visit the Aadhaar Enrolment website.
- How long will it take to complete the process?
- Once your request is accepted, and then the new updated card will be available within 90 days from your application.
- Am I allowed to make changes in the details after I submit the request?
- No, you can’t make any corrections once the request is submitted and so be careful while entering the necessary changes.
- Can I change my address through offline mode?
- Yes, you can also change/modify the address through offline by sending a post to the UIDAI.
- Am I allowed to submit the request in local languages?
- Yes, you can submit your request to update your address in any of the local languages that you are comfortable with. It won’t be an issue in the process.
Considering the time and responsibilities of the people, the Government has facilitated an easy procedure to change your address and details within one place. We hope the above information given is useful to you and follow them to make the process easy without facing any struggles and difficulties.