How to link aadhar card to Pan card? Hello, if you are looking to learn the process of linking Aadhaar card to Pan card then you are at the right place. This article will help you out and also, clear all your doubts which are related to “How to link Aadhaar card to Pan card”.
As we all know that Aadhaar card of a person works as an ID proof (all over in India) for him or her. 12-digits number mentioned on the Aadhaar card holds details of the cardholder. These details are name, address, DOB, etc of the cardholder.
The income tax department of India has notified to link aadhar card to Pan card. It is now mandatory to link your aadhar card with pan card irrespective of the fact that the citizen is a taxpayer or not. As the department has declared a deadline, you should link your aadhar card to pan card as soon as possible, otherwise, your pan card would be invalid. Linking Aadhaar card to Pan card is not a tough task. A cardholder may link his Aadhaar card to Pan card by both processes, online and offline.
So, people who have not linked their Aadhaar card to pan card that they can do it by following any processes.
Ways to link Aadhar card to Pan card
If you are a registered user at income tax e- filing website:
If you are a registered user at Income tax e- filing website then you have already linked your aadhar card with Pan card. But, in case, you don’t remember, you can check it on the website: www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
Just follow steps to check whether you have link aadhar card to pan card or not –
- Login to the website: www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in by entering your pan card (User- Id), Password, and your date of birth.
- Click on “Profile Setting” tab and select the last option ‘Link aadhar’.
- The screen will show the message, ‘Your PAN is already linked to Aadhaar number XXXX1234’.
- In case your PAN is not linked to Aadhaar then a form will appear where you will be required to enter details – name, date of birth, and gender as per PAN records. Next your Aadhaar number.
- Click on submit after entering the captcha code appearing on the screen.
For the non-registered user :
- First, register yourself at the income tax e filing portal, it will ask a few details which you to fill and submit it to the income tax portal.
- Log in to the e-Filing portal of the Income Tax Department by entering the log-in ID, password, and date of birth.
- When you logged in the portal, a window will pop up and it will prompt you to link your aadhar card to pan card. By the way, if you don’t see the popup, go to the blue tab on the top bar named ‘Profile Settings’ and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- Details such as name, date of birth, and gender will already be mentioned as per the details submitted at the time of registration on the e-Filing portal. Just verify the details on the screen with the ones mentioned on your Aadhaar card.
- Enter your Aadhaar card number and captcha code and then click on the “Link now” button.
- Now a pop-up message will come up that informs you that you have linked your aadhar card to pan card.
Link aadhar card to pan card using SMS :
SMS format :
Send SMS to 567678 or 56161 in the following format:
UIDPAN<12 digit Aadhaar><10 digit PAN>
Example: UIDPAN 3421342112341234 AAAAAE12EE
Now, the government of India has simplified to link aadhar card to pan card just sending the above format to 56161 or 567678.
Note: The individual will receive an OTP from the Aadhar database to their registered mobile number. It has been made compulsory by the government, for the taxpayers, to mention the Aadhar or the enrolment id at the time of filing their income tax returns (ITR).
Manual linking by filing up a form (Annexure-I) :
If you are getting problems like mismatching of data of Pan card and Aadhar card through other methods, then this method is for you, as per the Income-tax department notification, CBDT has provided for a manual method as well to ease the problems of taxpayers.
For that, you need to fill the ‘Annexure-I’ form along with documents like a copy of aadhar card and pan card. An amount is charged as a fee that also depends upon the factor that the update is made before or after linking aadhar card to pan card.
For correction of Pan card, a basic amount of Rs 110 is charged and for aadhar card correction, a prescribed fee is Rs 25.
Note: Biometric authentication is compulsory in case there is a major mismatch in data of PAN and Aadhaar.
Sometimes, when you fill your details in the form and you have done a mistake in it.
Here’s the solution to your problem:
Correction facility for linking PAN with Aadhaar is launched by the Income Tax Department :
Now, the income tax department has added a facility to update your necessary details. In order to update your details, you can log on to Aadhaar SSUP (Self Service Update Portal). He/she can also upload all the scanned documents that are needed as data update request proof. These are the methods that can be easily followed to link your Aadhar card to Pan card. For more such methods and insights stay tuned to this.
Also Read: Aadhar card online correction
Essential benefits of linking PAN card with Aadhar card
One should keep it in mind that both the PAN as well as Aadhar cards are said to be the unique identification cards. Also, it will be mainly serving as identity proof. Also, they are required for the verification and registration process at any time. Now, the government has advised all the citizens to link their PAN with Aadhar cards. This thing will be helpful to prevent tax evasion as well as getting multiple PAN cards in general. Well, once you linked, then the government will check out the transactions of a particular person.
At the end of the day, it will be helpful in recording the individual’s transaction activities all the time. On the other side, the main reason for linking the PAN with Aadhar is which will be helpful to reduce applying for multiple PAN cards to avoid paying taxes in general.
Hope that this article helped you out. If there is any query, feel free to ask them.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1. Is it mandatory to link Aadhar card to PAN card?
Ans. Yes, Government of India has made it mandatory for people to link aadhaar card to PAN card. If it is not linked you won’t be able to file income tax returns. Last date to update PAN card was 31st march 2022 but you can still link your aadhaar card with PAN card with 500 rupees till September 2022. If you still don’t link your aadhaar card with with PAN card till September then the penalty amount will be increased to 1000 rupees.
Q2. What will happen if I don’t link Aadhaar card with PAN card?
Ans. If you don’t link your aadhaar card with PAN card within deadline, your PAN card will become inoperative. In that case following things can happen.
- You won’t be able to file income tax returns.
- Your filed income tax returns won’t be processed further.
- You bank account can also be freezed by banks.
- You’ll have to pay penalty to reactivate your PAN card.
- You’ll be required to pay taxes at a higher rate as PAN becomes inoperative.
[…] How to link aadhar card to Pan card ? […]