After many important government services and documents, it is going mandatory to link RC with Aadhaar. Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said in a press conference that the government is soon going to make it mandatory to link driving license with Aadhaar card. He said that he is also going to discuss this with Nitin Gadkari.
What is RC?
RC (Driving Licence Registration Certificate) is a government document to verify that your vehicle is registered with RTO or not. RC contains information like:
- Vehicle Registration Number
- Vehicle Registration Date
- Vehicle Engine Number
- Chassis Number Of the Vehicle
- Colour of the vehicle
- Type of the vehicle
- Total Seating Capacity of the Vehicle
- Model Number
How to Apply for a Vehicle RC?
Unfortunately, you cannot apply for an RC online. You have to visit nearest RTO office to get your vehicle registered. Follow the process mentioned below to apply for RC.
- Visit the nearest RTO office.
- There, an officer at RTO will inspect your vehicle.
- You will have to submit a completed Form 20 at the RTO along with other required documents.
- The RTO officer will take an imprint of the vehicle chassis number.
- Pay the fee for registration.
After the final decision from the government, the process of linking the driving license with the Aadhaar card can be implemented very soon. Though the process of linking driving license with Aadhaar card will be different in different states, yet on a larger scale everything will be the same. Know how you can connect your driving license with Aadhar card. This facility to link the Aadhaar number to the driving license will be available on the website of the road transport department of all states.
Significance of Linking RC with Aadhaar
Government of India has made it mandatory to link Aadhaar with RC. Let’s see its importance.
- Linking Aadhaar card with RC will help government to identify and block fake or multiple RC.
- It will also make renewal process of driving license smooth.
- It will be easy to identify the person in case of any accident.
- Aadhaar will also help RC holders to avail services digitally without visiting transport offices because with Aadhaar, authentication process will become easy.
- Linking Aadhar with RC will bring the whole operation under one umbrella.
- A centralised database will be setup to store drivers’ details across India. This will prevent duplication driving license.
- This will also help in reducing road accidents because no one will be able to get a driving license without passing driving test.
STEP 1- First go to the website of the road transport department of your state.
STEP 2- Click on ‘Aadhaar Number Entry’ on the website.
STEP 3- Then click on ‘Search’ for registration number or license.
STEP 4- Now enter your registration number or license number here.
A confirmation message will come on mobile
STEP 5- Click on ‘Get details’ and your vehicle details will come here.
STEP 6- Under it, you will see the column of Aadhaar number and mobile number.
STEP 7- Enter your 12 digit Aadhaar number with your mobile number.
STEP 8- Click on the submit button and the confirmation message will come on your mobile.
You can link your RC with Aadhaar card by following the procedure mentioned above.